Thursday 22 February 2018

How far will your handspun yarn go?

CALCULATING HOW FAR YOUR HAND-SPUN WILL GO

Knitting on the diagonal

Following on from 'A Fill In Project':-
This is what I decided to make with the yarn.


One of the most worrying things, when you have used all your fibre and spun some yarn, is whether you have sufficient to complete a project.
If you are to knit something like a simple scarf or even a waistcoat, as in my earlier post -
'Hand spun, Naturally dyed Waistcoat', is to knit a 10cm square and weigh the yarn used, then calculate the area of knitted fabric your project needs, then 'do the sums'.

If you decide to knit a scarf then the calculation can be done while beginning the scarf with little chance of having to pull your work out to begin the project. Here I amusing the yarn from 'A Fill In' project.


First weigh your spun yarn - I had 200g.
Cast on 3 stitches.
Increase by one stitch at the beginning of each row. Continue until you have used 10th of you yarn. In this case I knitted 20g.
Measure the sides of the triangle - cm. You will be able to knit a strip/scarf that is 10 times as long as the side of the triangle you have knitted.
From now on increase a stitch at the beginning of the next row, decrease one stitch at the beginning of the following row. Continue in this way until you have the same weight of yarn that it took to knit the first triangle.
Decrease at the beginning of every following row until only 3 sts remain. Knit all three together to cast off.
Your project doesn't have to be all KNIT stitches! Here is a scarf knitted (yet to be pressed) for my dear friend Sue Bryce.
To keep the edges tidy and straight I knitted the first 5 stitches of each row, using purl in a random number of rows to create some texture. Well, I say random, I usually use the fibonacci sequence of numbers when I am 'designing'.


No comments:

Post a Comment