Sunday 24 February 2019

YARN DE-STASH 2019

DE-STASH PROJECT NUMBER 1, 2019




            I have a lot of yarns left from the time before I started working solely with hand dyed silk. I am doing a lot of spinning at the moment. Spinning yarns to weave with was my reason for learning to spin. The spur for me to improve my spinning was getting yarn of a consistent thickness strong enough for a warp. I have previously achieved this with silk but one can't wear silk all the time!
            Having discovered two things, the first being that organic woollen fibres, mainly merino, don't irritate my skin, the second a great supplier, John Arbon, of attractive fibre and colour blends I am now spinning organic woollen fibres so I can produce lengths of fabric for some clothing.
            Spinning this yarn is taking some time and I am drawn to my weaving shed and woollen yarn that I bought some 30 years ago. Three of those in the photo are some of the 'stash'. The fourth, the peacock blue on the right, is some bought more recently from Uppingham Yarns and left over from weaving a twill length last year.


Well, I'm nearly at the end of a 5 yard warp and I'm quite pleased with the effect. If I finish weaving it tomorrow i will get it in the washing machine to full and hang it to dry on a roller.

No comments:

Post a Comment