Tuesday 2 February 2010

Trials of the drum carder




Well, where has the time gone again?
The Bedfordshire Guild of WSD bought a Louet drum carder last year and I am trialling it so I can instruct other members to use it efficiently. I love colour blending and spinning with colourful fibres to produce individual yarns. First of all I rainbow dyed some silk fibre to spin and then decided as most member work in wool, I would have a go at carding several shades of Merino together to see the results. There has been little waste of fibre but, apart from the silk, I have not spun the Merino into a yarn.
Above are the resulting Merino batts. I'm not sure about the lime green!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love these beautiful colours! Isn't it strange how the very bright almost gaudy colours in the top picture tone down to those beautiful pastels in the second one. Absolutely gorgeous!

    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete