Monday 16 March 2020

PROJECTS FOR A RAINY DAY


ACTIVITIES TO INSPIRE WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS




   The above pictures are not mine but they served to inspire me to start a spinning project that would help with boredom and inertia on bad weather days. I probably wouldn't usually buy or dye my own tops with these colours but I do like the resulting yarn, so maybe it's a colourway for the future.
   It looks to me as though the yarn is 2 ply and has been created by dividing the tops in half down its length, after which each each ply was spun and then both plied together.
   

   This photograph was taken at the bottom of our garden last year and it inspired the hands pun skein below. I didn't dye the fibre. I used coloured tops that had been unused, having been bought as individual colours to create batts.
   A  two ply yarn, one ply of which is all green the other is a combination of slubs in pinks, yellows and lime green spaced along the second ply of the yarn.

 

    Several days ago I found myself with no particular project in mind and went down the garden again, taking photographs of the primulas, my favourite spring flower after the snowdrops, daffodils and crocuses but couldn't decide how I was going to spin some yarn to do them justice.

   I began some trials with other colours to help me decide how I was going to put the colours together and how many plies I was going to spin to create a yarn that represented the colours distributed in the garden.
  The first skein - above - was spun with the individual colours in turn on one bobbin   , then the resulting singles was Navajo plied into a smooth (ish) 3 ply yarn with each colour plied on its self.
   In the yarn below I divided the colours to create a 'fractal' yarn.




No comments:

Post a Comment